Dates to put on the calendar
· Oct 9 (Mon): Columbus Day Holiday
· Oct 10 (Tue): evening meet and greet with Principal Turner
· Oct 20 (Fri): PTA coffee with Principal Turner, 9am Diamond Cafeteria
· Oct 18 (Wed): DC 8th Grade Parent Meeting - Auditorium
· Oct 19 (Thu): Diwali Holiday: Schools and Offices Open
· Nov 9 (Thu): LEF Trivia Bee
Announcements from Diamond PTA
Many thanks to PTA Hospitality co-chairs Viki Deardorff and Lisa Sharma for organizing dinner for the teachers and staff before both Back to School Nights. Thanks also to Meghana Khanolkar for helping on both evenings. The entire staff was so appreciative to have a delicious meal on such long, busy days. If you are interested in helping with future hospitality/teacher appreciation events, please contact email@example.com and we will connect you with Viki and Lisa!
Upcoming Diamond and LPS Events
The Diamond Student Council is organizing a fundraiser to support the victims affected by the terrible disasters that have hit parts of our country. The Student Council members, with the support of the PTA, are selling drawstring bags to raise money for classrooms in these communities. All proceeds will go directly to classrooms in need through an organization called DonorsChoose. You can find more information on the Diamond and the PTA websites, or you can use the following links to purchase a bag or to make a donation.
Indian Americans of Lexington (IAL) is celebrating its 2017 Diwali Mela on October 21st at Lexington High School. Diwali (also "Deepavali") — the festival of lights — is one of biggest the festivals in India and is truly pan-Indian.This year, to enhance the festivities and add additional attendees, we have increased our capacity. The Diwali Mela includes a variety of cultural programs by kids and adults, activities for kids and mouthwatering Indian street food.
When : 21st October 2017 3:00 - 9:00 PM
Where : Lexington High School , Lexington , MA
Link to buy the tickets below: Tickets2IALDiwaliMela2017
Event details are as follows:
- Entry tickets for the IAL Diwali Mela are priced at $15 per person for anyone 6 years and older, kids 5 years and under do not require entry tickets for this event.
- Food is available for purchase at the event (Cash Only)- food includes Indian cuisine catered by “One World Cuisine” and Pizza for kids
- Fun activities for kids.
We look forward to having a fun filled Diwali celebration with you and your family.
22nd Annual Genesis Battlegreen Run - Spencer’s Sprinters
Sunday, November 5th
Lexington Newcomers Club and LexFUN! have joined forces to raise money for the Cure Sanfilippo Foundation on behalf of Lexington toddler, Spencer Smith. To register to run or walk, visit https://battlegreenrunfoundation.org and choose “Spencer’s Sprinters” when you Join an Existing Team.
After you have completed registration, you can begin to raise funds for our team by joining at https://www.crowdrise.com/spencers-sprinters. Registered runners and walkers who create a Crowdrise profile and raise $100 or more by October 11th will receive a FREE long sleeve Spencer’s Sprinters official race t-shirt.
Presenting LEF's 22nd Annual TRIVIA BEE!
Thursday, November 9, 7pm
Lexington High School Auditorium
Lexington Education Foundation's Trivia Bee is a fun Lexington tradition in which three-person teams compete to answer trivia questions about history, sports, popular culture, science, arts, literature and current events.
- Take on the trivia challenge with your own team. Create and name a 3-member team.
- Sponsor a team of teachers, staff or LHS students. School teams from all 9 schools need sponsors.
- Come and cheer on your school's teams! Watch the Bee’s Master of Ceremonies, Jeff Leonard, quiz "swarms" of teams, and see which team will be named the 2017 "Masters of Trivia!"
Register, sponsor or learn more at LexEdFoundation.org/trivia-bee
Lexington Education Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that brings the community together to support the Lexington Public Schools in fostering innovation in teaching and learning to provide our children a world-class education.
Youth in Philanthropy Program
Youth in Philanthropy (YIP) is an opportunity for students to become leaders in our community. Participants learn the importance of philanthropy and the needs that exist in our backyard. YIP students research local nonprofits and award $10,000 in grants. There are no fees or tuition to participate.
· Who: 7th and 8th graders who live or learn in Lexington
· Where: Lexington Community Center
· When: Wednesdays, Dec. 6 through Mar. 28, 7-8 PM
· How to Apply: Fill out a short form online by Nov. 13 – www.bit.ly/17-18yip
· Learn More: Visit www.yipmetrowest.org